Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shamrock Run ~ My First 15K


I've always wanted to run a marathon or participate in a race but never quite got past the "wanting to" stage.  Luckily for me my best friend Rebekka has been training for a half marathon, so upon moving to Portland I had a built in training buddy :)  Bekka has a full time job and the cutest little 1 1/2 year old son and I admire her devotion to running!  She doesn't have much spare time but always manages to fit in a run - which makes me feel like I can't make any excuses because at the moment I'm unemployed and don't have a little kiddo on my hands!
Running is great.  Like they say, Getting out the door is the hardest part!  Once you're out there all that matters is the run and everything else fades into the background.  I love monitoring my progress and seeing how I've improved each day and week! 
Last Sunday was my first official race - The Shamrock Run!  I signed up for the 15K which is 9.3 miles and from what I'd been hearing it was a pretty aggressive route for my first run.  It began at Waterfront Park and went up through the middle of downtown, near the hospital, and back along the waterfront.  I was nervous for my first race so didn't want anyone at the finish line besides my husband Cameron (and at the time I wasn't even sure if I wanted him there with his big ole' camera!) but next time I'm definitely ready for a big cheering section!  The weather was Portland, so gray and rainy, but before I knew it I was past all of the hills at the 6 mile marker!  I had no idea - it flew by!  I must say that the last 3 miles down were definitely the toughest especially because I had sprained my ankle at the Humane Society a few days prior.  I finished better than I had expected at 1:28:30!  What an accomplishment!  Afterwards a bunch of up met for brunch at Besaws on NW 23rd and it was delicious.  Rebekka and Damien were there with Elias, Lauren (who has been training with Bekka since before I moved here) and her husband Dusty, and Cathy and her daughter Sopia. 
Although I'm still limping I've already signed up to achieve my next goal - the Half Marathon in Eugene on April 29th!  Me, Rebekka, and Lauren are all going to run with our husbands cheering us on on the sidelines. 
Wish me Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment