Friday, September 14, 2012

I love Portland.

I really really do. 

Sometimes it's the little things that make me happy...like being bummed that the gas light came on in the car only to realize I can't pump my own gas anyway so it's not so bad to pull into the station and have someone do it for me!  Driving with the windows down is fun to me since it seems like I always had them up in Vegas to keep the a/c in, or was driving on a highway and it was too windy to keep them down. 
The pedestrians and bikers FRIGHTEN (I'm afraid I'm going to clip one) but I really enjoy seeing them out and about ~ they look so natural & happy.  Mount Hood's silhouette in the distance, driving over a bridge and looking out at the water and seeing more bridges in the distance; these things make me smile both inside and out.  Flowers, grass, outdoor markets, apple trees, and pear trees on the side of the rode that you can just pull up to and pick a fruit off and eat in your car - even going to the stores seems different here.  It's laid back and carefree and seems as if everyone knows each other, or would like to.  A woman checking out in front of me today was talking about her black and white dog named "Gravy".  The clerk was surprised Gravy wasn't a brown dog and was curious how the name came about. "It just seemed right" was her reply.  Tiny moments like that make me appreciate my new home. 
To come home and have salsa made with tomatoes and cilantro from the garden - and homegrown tomato, basil and mozzerella salad.  It just feels right.  Last nights dinner?  Pasta with eggs, tomatoes, garlic and basil from the yard.  I picked my first ripe pumpkin before coming in to type this blog...and in the middle of this sentance the husband walked in the bedroom to tell me the chickens are safe!  Such a different mindset and lifestyle from only a year ago...and I can't wait to see what the next year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment